It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: September-December progress report.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:35 pm 

Hey, Reddit folks and forum folks alike. We went dark for a bit due to Real Life but Europa is still in the works. We've had some development going on and I thought it'd be worth summarizing it quickly for Reddit so people don't think we've died completely.

1. We are now using the WIP colony dome map as the only map in the codebase. The boxmap that I thought I'd get running for testing ultimately just led to repeating concepts from Baycode and slowed down work on the main map, so: into the bin with that. Furthermore, a few random generators for the map have been completed, including one for maintenance. Work is proceeding on the fine detail of the map, with basic piping and power having been completed by WrongEnd, and Mattroks101 has been fleshing out the darker corners with more detail and random loot.

2. The new mecha system and a new kitchen/cooking system have both been merged as WIP for some core testing/development, but are both exceptionally buggy still. The kitchen system (co-developed with Neerti initially) attempts to add some realism and more complex products to the game by adding cooking containers and heat sources. The mecha system was covered in other posts.

3. A new conduit system is in the works! This system will eventually replace power, atmos and disposals, but currently is used for two other new features: data networks and matter feeds. You can have up to seven feeds running parallel to each other in the same tile, and rather than the fiddly power cable build system, they work similar to conduits in Minecraft - click a turf to place a node, which will connect automatically to all neighboring nodes in the same row.

4. The autolathe has been split into many machines (fabricators), and most recipes that were previously part of metal sheets are available from dedicated machines. These fabricators must be connected to a matter feed leading to matter bins, from which they will take their needed resources and reagents. The final intent of these changes will be to make everything on the station buildable by scrapping other objects for parts or constructing them on a fabricator, adding to the survival-atmosphere aspect of the game, and to reduce the 'I will shape this retractable knife from metal with my bare hands' aspect of crafting.

5. Data networks have been added, which are used to connect terminals to machines, buttons and devices. Currently they only really work with fabricators, but there are also buttons and mass drivers which function as tests of the system. There's also a wrist computer with a terminal, replacing the PDA as the standard-issue computer device for player characters.

6. Antags are being completely reworked. There are quite a few ideas on the board, but for the time being all of the old SS13 antags have been axed. Replacements will run the gamut from smugglers to serial killers, and later down the track we'll start readding the team-based antagonist types to represent groups like pirates, naval patrols and cults.

Development over the next little while will probably be split between updates from Polaris and Bay, and fixes/expansions for existing material - it's a bit too unstable at the moment so there may not be much exciting new content for the next post. Other than the above, Science has been totally removed to clear the ground for new stuff, and I'm side-eyeing telecomms and airlock code after this for rewrites. Loganbacca has implemented/fixed proper cycling water airlocks so that last major hurdle to getting the map playable has been cleared, so it should be an exciting few months.

Ritual thanks to Ccomp for single-handedly paying for the testing server, and thanks for keeping track of the game. Hopefully soon(tm) we can start getting some actual rounds played!

Post subject: Re: September-December progress report.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:57 pm 

Get hype!

Tanner Redding; High school dropout turned career soldier.
Evelyn Hall; German Sub Pilot.

Post subject: Re: September-December progress report.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:24 am 

Zuhayr wrote:
I'm side-eyeing telecomms and airlock code after this for rewrites. Loganbacca has implemented/fixed proper cycling water airlocks

No need for eyeing airlock code anymore, it's been rewritten from the ground up :P

Also, yay! We're getting there.