It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: SolGov Flag.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:05 pm 

Sol needs a flag. Every country needs a flag, even if it spans multiple star systems and stuff! So, SolGov is going to need one, as it currently doesn't.
Feel free to dump ideas as well as pictures.

Tanner Redding; High school dropout turned career soldier.
Evelyn Hall; German Sub Pilot.

Post subject: Re: SolGov Flag.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:14 pm 

To start it off, I'll suggest two. None of these are mine, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:43 pm 

Ooh, this is a fun!

I quite like the Sol 3 one there, very minimalist yet undoubtedly human.

My first thought was it to be something like the Voyager golden record inscription:

I'd imagine SolGov would try to cultivate the same mystique around themselves that is held by the golden record. Of course it'd be really impractical. Either its a shittier version of the planetmap flag, or its some abstract map of the distance of Sol to various pulsars (which wouldn't come out that well in pixelart) or its a naked dude and chick, which also doesn't come out that well in pixelart.

I think it'd still be cool to have the flag depict something undeniably human, to accord with the idea that this is the supreme governing body of humanity. The only thing I could really think of was the human hand, which is really pretty intricate and unique when you think about it. The other alien races probably have functionally equivalent appendages, but they would look quite different from a human hand, or at least would be distinguishable at a glance. So I think it'd be pretty cool to have a more minimalist version of something like this:

A human hand reaching out to touch the stars seems like the kind of optimistic and powerful imagery SolGov would employ. Plus it would look like those cave paintings, which would give a nice little thematic bookend between humanity emerging from the cave and exploring the world around them, and peeking our head out of the safety of Earth to explore the stars.

If you wanted something more sinister, you could have it grasping a planet or star or something, like the Group 935 logo from Nazi Zombies:

Or even more sinister, something like the Terran Empire flag from Star Trek:

Of course being a spiritual successor (if that's the right terminology) for the UN, you might want to make some variation on the UN logo, which is pretty kickass as is:

It'd definitely be cool to at least fit that laurel wreath in there somewhere.

Unfortunately Earth doesn't have a lot of really noticeable features that fill a flag well like Jupiter or Saturn might. The most notable things we have are appreciable quantities of liquid water and a huge moon so friggin big we're almost a binary system. Maybe something with a solar eclipse? You probably never thought about it, but having the moon and the sun being almost the same exact angular size as viewed from Earth is pretty unusual, and wouldn't be all that common in the Universe at large. The moon is slowly orbiting away, so the moon and sun being the same apparent size is a recent development, and won't be true in the distant future, so maybe something like Baily's beads would be cool to work in there? It doesn't exactly scream "Earth" though. :/

Alright I'm done rambling, hopefully I've contributed to brainstorming a bit.

Last edited by TheFourthHorse on Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:57 pm 

Heh, funny thing is was that I was going to suggest the UN flag as my third option, but decided to do only two :p

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:03 pm 

Hiya, just dropping this here. I wouldn't suggest using any RL flags, because those are actually copyrighted things, and while I doubt anyone would actually do anything to us, I feel it is better to simply make our own. On that, I will be submitting my own design later tonight, so stay tuned!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:13 pm 

Going to post the one I made.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:13 pm 

Here's my idea: the constellations as seen from the Sol system, as a space-themed variation on the UN logo.

It symbolizes humanity's quest to explore the stars, and the charter of SolGov to protect humanity and its interests among the stars. The olive braches circling it symbolize the constant strive towards peace and amicable diplomatic relations between mankind and the races it encounters.

Of course, there are many who mistrust SolGov (or humans in general), and they take a more cynical interpretation. They see the field of connected stars as less of an ideal and more of a territorial claim, proof of SolGov's desire to assert control over every system they can reach.

I'm not as pleased as I thought I might be with how it turned out, but might as well post it anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:48 pm 

TheFourthHorse wrote:
TheFourthHorse's awesome thing.

I think it's perfect!

Anyway, I think either this one or WrongEnd's super awesome one are the best choices atm

Last edited by Finalsong on Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:37 am 

the sun is obviously to scale guys
obviously

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:38 am 

Finalsong, I really like that a lot. Maybe a more stylized starfield, but the idea is excellent. I was going to suggest the UN flag with the Earth replaced by the orbtal paths of the solar system.