It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Important decisions
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:35 am 

- Do we continue with ZAS or port LINDA from Paradise or /vg/?
- Do we want realistic water pressure simulation? ie. should stepping outside instantly crush you into a fine red mist?
- Do we want to be high RP or medium RP to begin with?
- Do we want objectives?

Any input is worthwhile, please feel free to post.

Last edited by Zuhayr on Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Important descisions
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:57 pm 

1. No strong opinion either way. Not much of an issue for me, I guess.
2. I think realism should play a part in water and pressure simulation, but I also think it needs to be fun. So, my thoughts are that people should be able to survive a moderate/short amount of time in water without protective gear (outside of oxygen masks and stuff) but eventually the freezing temperatures and pressure will cause enough damage to kill you. Certain things, like wetsuits or something can offset some of the water's effects, like the cold and stuff, but without heavy-duty diving gear (Think classic diving suits or something out of Bioshock's big daddies) you won't be able to survive more than a few minutes.
3. High RP for sure. In my opinion, it allows for lore and stuff to play a much greater part, and due to the setting and all that, I feel we're going to need high RP to keep it all serious, and the player interactions... Valuable, I guess? If loneliness and certain social problems are going to play a role. Furthermore, it would also add to diplomacy and depth between the factions. And IMO, medium RP either devolves into low RP or just turns into high RP.
4. See above. Objectives could limit RP and freedom, to some degree. Let people and antagonists follow their own path.

Just my ten cents, and all.

Tanner Redding; High school dropout turned career soldier.
Evelyn Hall; German Sub Pilot.

Last edited by Finalsong on Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:09 pm 

Appreciated!

RE: atmos, I'm going to go ahead and port over LINDA just because ZAS doesn't play well with the fluid flows.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:08 am 

- While I'm not very familiar with LINDA I think I'm inclined to agree. The thing I like the most about ZAS and why I would support it above all the other existing atmos systems for SS13 is that it can handle very fast airflows and rapid decompression, something that IMO is a necessity for SS13 but doesn't seem nearly as important here.

- I think people will have more fun if going outside without full pressure suits doesn't kill you instantly. I think a more important thing to consider though is how our modeling choices will affect breaches and flooding. I think ideally we will want a model that allows for more than binary "place is fully safe/flooded with super high pressure water that crushes you instantly." Something that allows for a variety of situations such as places that are partially flooded, slow leaks, flooded enough to drown people but not crush them, and full on being crushed by pressure.

- High RP all the way, though I might be biased. I don't find medium RP servers very fun, people just act stupid and don't really appreciate the setting. I think this is because medium RP is never homogeneous in practice. It usually means some portion of the server population are RPing, some are vaguely trying to keep IC, and the rest are not bothering at all.

- I don't see objectives as being a bad thing and you can always just not follow them if you wish. If they introduce issues, it will be more along the lines of subtle and long term effects on the server culture. Even then I think there are ways those could be dealt with though, like keeping success/failure of objectives private instead of globally announcing them.

Last edited by HarpyEagle on Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:09 am 

At this point it seems likely that I'm going to hack liquids into XGM/LINDA and handle drowning and pressure through an actual water 'gas'.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:17 am 

Well, liquids are incompressible and gasses have no concept of depth so I won't be surprised if you end up having to hack around with it a bit to get things to behave "naturally." I predict that sooner or later you are going to have to modify the system to treat gas and liquid separately, either by XGM flags or some other means.

Though I hear that gasses in LINDA act sort of like thick fluids so who knows.

Post subject: Re: Important decisions
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:23 pm 

So, for the first one, I'm not sure with atmos so do whatever you want!

Second, I'm agreeing with the others here. Realism should be a part of it, but going out without the suit shouldn't just insta-murder you. It's unfun, firstly, and secondly could lead to some really easy griff. It should definitely damage you if you go out without a suit (and maybe have a decent chance of snapping a bone or two?), but not insta-gib you.

Third, High RP, all the way all day. Medium RP just isn't as enjoyable, in my opinion, as others and tends to not encourage as much RP as High RP does. As well, the lore will generally be /much/ more fleshed out and, as someone who very much enjoys reading/writing lore things, I feel that it would be in our best interest to keep it in a setting where the lore can be made out and fleshed into existence.

Point four, I don't care for traitor objectives one bit. Do away with them. Objectives take away player choice, and also make being a traitor a bit odd. How do you justify, as a person who hates the idea of murder, taking on an objective to murder the captain as a traitor? However, having a backstory for some of the antag types? I like this, and a little blurb there would help to give the antag an idea on what they could do.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:29 pm 

for one, no clue...

for two I think we should keep realisim part of it... your not swimming in the abyss in trunks and a snorkle... but not "crack on window and your ass is fish chow"

High RP all the way to really bring the horror aspects of this to fruitation

and I dislike objectives, maybe guidlines? like you spawn and it says... maybe you wanna try sinking the damn outpost, or showing the cook whos boss, or maybe light a ocean outpost on fire cause fuck em

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:51 am 

-ZAS is fun, but Linda might be better for performance stuffs/underwater feeling.
-I like the idea of people being crushed into a fine red mist. But it wouldn't be very enjoyable, so it shouldn't be THAT realistic.
-NoRP, obviously. (Nah, HRP all the way.)
-I personally prefer none.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:03 pm 

1. I personally think LINDA would be better over ZAS from the underwater setting.

2. Semi-realistic, not too realistic to the extent where the enjoyment of players is impacted.

3. High RP, would place greater emphasis on character interaction and would suit the setting far more, in my opinion.

4. Guidelines would be good, but clear objectives force the antagonist to act in a way they may not want to.